House Speaker John Boehner is expected to announce this week a new “special investigation” into Hillary Clinton’s email practices as Secretary of State, including her admission that more than 31,000 emails were destroyed because she determined them to be personal, top House Republicans told ABC News.
This investigation is separate from the ongoing Benghazi investigation., claims the Huffington Post.
During a news conference last week, Clinton did not describe the details of how the review of her email was conducted, but said it was “thorough” and that she went “above and beyond” what she was required to do in turning over many of her emails to the State Department.
ABC’s “This Week” program said top Republicans had briefed it about Hillary’s investigation, but did not give details.
Clinton, expected to launch her campaign soon for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016, has faced a storm of criticism over her email habits.
She used a personal email address instead of a government one, as well as a personal server, during the period she was secretary of state, from 2009 to 2013.
Clinton told a news conference on Tuesday her private email address was a “convenience” so she would not have to carry two mobile devices.
She sent and received 62,320 emails while at the State Department. After a review process, 30,490 were provided to the State Department at its request, a Clinton spokesman said last week, according to the Huffington Post. The remaining 31,830 were private and personal records, the spokesman said.