The first wife of The Beatles’ John Lennon, Cynthia Lennon, recently died at her home in Spain, her family has announced.
A message on her son Julian’s website said she died “following a short but brave battle with cancer.” It also said: “Her son Julian Lennon was at her bedside throughout. The family are thankful for your prayers.”
Cynthia Lennon was born in Blackpool, England on September 10th, 1939. She was 75.
Libertarians and right-wingers are convinced that de-regulation is always a good thing. But what about for surgery?
According to the BBC, when British woman Joy Williams went into the SP Clinic in Bangkok last October, she must have believed she was about to undergo a straightforward cosmetic operation, at a very reasonable price. She must have believed it would be at a modern facility which has been widely used – and praised – by other patients from overseas.
But her wounds became infected and she died under anaesthetic as the clinic tried to correct what had gone wrong.
Her doctor, Sompob Sansiri, has been charged with recklessly causing her death, and the SP Clinic closed down. It turned out he was not licensed to carry out surgery.
Ms Williams was one of thousands of foreigners who come to Thailand every year for cosmetic surgery.
The prices are typically a third of what they cost in Europe or the US, the medical facilities are often first-class, and some Thai doctors have developed specialist expertise in some cosmetic procedures. However, this is not always the case.
According to WSBT.com and the South Bend Tribune, a Michigan man went on a shooting spree Saturday night, leaving nearby homes riddled with bullet holes.
That was followed by an apparent standoff ending with the gunman supposedly setting fire to his home and turning the weapon on himself.
Neighbors described the man as a “doomsday prepper.” Michigan State Police say it all unfolded at a home in a mobile home park.
A fire combined with what some eyewitnesses say was the sound of thousands of rounds of gunfire going off inside one trailer, almost sounding like 4th of July fireworks. The smell of gunpowder was thick in the air.
When the smoke finally cleared police found one man dead inside.
The first complaint was about shots fired, but it turned into so much more.
When troopers arrived, they did hear gunshots and then saw smoke and later flames, which engulfed the home and apparently started setting off ammunition explosions inside.
Chandler Swink, an Oakland University sophomore and aspiring nursing student, was taken off life support on Wednesday night after spending more than a week in a coma.
Swink had visited a friend’s apartment where peanut butter cookies had been baked and the young man either came into contact with the cookies or the residue on someone else’s hands.
When he started having a reaction, Chandler injected himself with an EpiPen and drove himself to a nearby hospital, where he was found unconscious in the parking lot after simultaneously going into anaphylactic shock and experiencing an asthma attack and cardiac arrest.
Now his family is speaking out to raise awareness about the severity of nut allergies.
His father Bill said, “You need to take your family members’ food allergies very seriously. [During holiday season] you don’t need to add almonds or pecans to the food you bring.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that four to six percent of children have food allergies, the prevalence of which increased by 18 percent between 1997 and 2007.
Chandler had had a level-six nut allergy — the most severe — since the age of two, which had led to ridicule and bullying by his peers, according to his mother Nancy. The school district made itself “peanut free” just for him, but that made other parents resentful. “They would say, ‘It can’t be that bad,’” Nancy recalled.
Despite the stigma of Chandler’s allergies, his mom said, “he never complained to us. He held that in for 18 years. When he went to college, he was the happiest kid because he was no longer labeled.”